Jamaican style Pumpkin Rice is a delicious alternative to plain rice and helps add colour, nutrients and taste to your meal. It is a very easy Jamaican recipe, uses up small bits of veg and cooks in under 1/2 an hour. It appeals to Vegetarians and children get a sneaky dose of vegetables included in this versatile dish. What more could you want for a healthy dinner idea?
[icon icon_name=”star”]You Will Need:
- a large pot (saucepan) for the rice
- a sharp knife and chopping board
- a measuring cup
- a sieve / strainer
Throughly wash your hands and scrub underneath your nails if you can. Gather all your ingredients and cooking implements together and put them on the counter top so you have everything within reach and you will also save time and make it easier for yourself.
- 3 Cups of preferably Basmati Rice, but long or short grain will do
- 6 Cups of water
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1 tbsp of Butter / Margarine
- 1 cup diced / sliced pumpkin
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 garlic peg, diced small
- 1 stock cube (optional)
- If you want a deep orange coloured and fuller flavoured rice, you can omit the stock cube and use 2 tbsp of Grace Pumpkin Soup Mix, but use a sieve / strainer to remove the noodles!
- Measure out the rice and place into a strainer, thoroughly wash the rice, rinse and strain it and add to the pot (saucepan).
- Add 6 cups of water, do not fill the measuring cup right up to the brim.
- Add the pumpkin, onion, garlic, butter, salt, stock cube / pumpkin soup powder.
- Stir with a fork (do NOT use a spoon).
- Cover the pot (saucepan) and place onto the hob on a medium heat, until it starts to boil.
- Turn down the hob immediately and simmer the rice, until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is ‘pitted’ on the top.
- This should take about 20-30 minutes.
- Using a fork remove some of the rice and taste to check it is not undercooked. If you find the rice is a bit hard and the water has dried up, you can spread a piece of cling film (cling wrap), tin foil, or even a clean scandal bag (plastic bag) tightly over the top of the pot (saucepan) and allow the pot to steam which coupled with the condensation formed will finish cooking the rice.
- When removing the cling film use a fork to slowly lift the cling film off of the pot, facing away from you as the steam and condensation can easily burn you.
- Using a fork, fluff the rice and serve immediately…. YUM!
- This Jamaican Pumpkin Rice can be served with one of these delicious Jamaican recipes that I have shared on this site: Ackee and Saltfish, Steamed Callaloo, Brown Stew Fish, Escovitch Fried Fish, Red Herring, Fried Plantain and so much more!
If you do have any left over, wait for it to cool down and store in the fridge. When you are ready to reheat it add the rice to a pot (saucepan) and turn on a medium heat, as the pan gets hot (and before the rice starts burning) add an eggcup full of water to create steam and cover the pot, turning down the heat. Reheat rice until piping hot and serve immediately ~ do not reheat rice more than once, so only reheat what you can eat!